Part 3: 3 Steps Before The Install
PART 6. continued
URIEncoding – Config tomcat server.xml. To ensure search operations in FootPrints Service Core work correctly Tomcat needs to be configured to support UTF-8 encoding of GET parameters. The following steps require editing the following Tomcat server configuration file, server.xml. “server.xml” is located in the “conf” folder of the Tomcat installation, e.g., Windows: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 7.0\conf\server.xml
a. Backup the “server.xml” file before making any changes.
b. Edit “server.xml”.
c. Locate the connector node used by the FootPrints Service Core web app. The default node will look like this:
d. Modify the node and add the “URIEncoding” attribute. The node should look like this when correctly modified:
e. Save the “server.xml” file.
For the best FootPrints Service Core performance, the “maxThreads” parameter in the Tomcat “server.xml” file (see URI Encoding above for file location) should be configured to increase the maximum number of allowed threads to 550.
a. Locate the connector node used by the FootPrints Service Core web app. The node, after successfully having set the URIEncoding, will look like this:
b. Modify the node and add the “maxThreads” attribute. The node should look like this when correctly modified:
c. Save the “server.xml” file.
Manage size of catalina.out file
Recommended but not needed prior to install. Manage size of catalina.out file
(Optional): Enable data compression
7. Restart Tomcat Service. After making the changes described, before proceeding with the install of FootPrints Service Core, start/restart Tomcat to ensure it starts successfully and no errors occur (as a result of incorrectly entered change, typo, etc). However, be sure to stop Tomcat again after a successful test, as Tomcat must not be running, in order for the upgrade to proceed.
8. Run Footprints Installer. Log onto the Application server as an administrator to run the Footprints installer.
- Ensure that the TCP/IP protocol is enabled.· Stop the Tomcat Service then run the Footprints installer.
- If you have not downloaded the Footprints installer please do so. For more information, see Downloading the installation files.
- Extract the installer file contents into a temporary location. Double-click the setup file. For Windows, this file is named setup.exe. For Linux, this file is named setup.bin. For detail information on how to install and follow the installe’s prompt, please see this link:
· The Footprints installer will prompt the user for various things:
a. Make sure that the administration email address you provide during the installation process does not include the plus (+) or dash (-) characters.
b. An encryption key phrase that you want to use for this installation. Encryption key phrases must be between 8 and 80 characters long. Any characters or symbols may be used.
c. The database connection information including type of database, host name or IP address, and user credentials. This user credential will require a SQL account with the same SA privileges as the SQL SA account. We can use the SQL SA account. It is only used by the Footprints installer to create the SQL tables and SQL logins required to complete the Footprints installation.
9. Restart Tomcat Service. After the installer completes the Footprints installation, restart the Tomcat service.
10. Launch the Footprints application.
Author: Cristy Castano